NHS vs Private
Currently in the UK there are two options for hearing aid provision – the NHS and private market. Approximately 80% of hearing aids fitted in the UK, are fitted by the NHS. Some patients are satisfied with the ‘free at the point of service system’ offered by our wonderful UK hospitals.
The COVID 19 pandemic has, however, meant that waiting times in the NHS have substantially increased, and hospitals are looking to reduce the number of face-to-face consultations.
Additionally, a significant proportion of this population have individual requirements that unfortunately cannot be met by NHS hearing aid departments.
With increasing demand for cost saving within the NHS many hospitals are opting to dispense only single (and not two) hearing aids and in some cases electing to not dispense hearing aids to patients with mild or moderate hearing loss.
If you are offered an NHS hearing aid, whilst it will be digital, it will likely be an older design, and you will have little, if any, choice in the aid.
private hearing aids
Choosing private hearing aids for some people is the best option for improving their hearing. Some of the reasons that people choose private hearing healthcare include:
- Wider range of hearing aid choice
- More personal service
- More cosmetic options for hearing aids
- Improved sound quality and hearing aid performance
- Better feedback/whistling cancellation
- Improved handling size, for patients who have handling issues
- Better connectivity to electronic devices such as mobile phones, television and home alert system
- No waiting lists or delay for appointment
- Local premises in the community
- More time assigned to clinical appointments
- Access to additional services and testing
If you are not sure about whether you wish to pay privately for a hearing aid, we suggest that you seek to get an NHS hearing aid first. This will give you a benchmark of what improved hearing is like with an NHS aid and if you wish you can then trial one of our hearing aids (with no obligation).
8 out of 10 of our patients have worn NHS hearing aids previously, all of them now enjoy an improved hearing experience! If you are struggling with your hearing and/or digital hearing aids, then please contact us and let Cox Lewis Hearing make a difference for you today.